AREA—82,313 sq. mi. POP.—16,338,534 (1941) CAPITAL—Hyderabad
This independent princely state was occupied and annexed by India in 1948.
Stamp of 1931-48, Scott # 41
Charminar (Telugu: చార్మినార్, Urdu: چارمینار), built in 1591 AD, is a landmark monument
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India. The English name is a transliteration and combination of the Urdu words Chār and Minar, translating to "Four Towers"; the eponymous towers are ornate minarets attached and supported by four grand arches. The landmark has become a global icon of Hyderabad, listed among the most recognized structures of India. The Charminar is on the east bank of Musi river. To the northeast lies the Laad Bazaar and in the west end lies the granite-made richly ornamented Makkah Masjid.(From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charminar)